Burgh St Mary
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
St Mary’s Church, formerly the parish church of Burgh St Mary, survives in ruins. They are located in a field just to the north of the A1064, about halfway between Fleggburgh and Filby. A public footpath leads to the ruins accross the field.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Burgh St Mary
The ruin of Burgh St Mary’s church is a really pretty sight, especially in summer when the walls are overgrown, even though this makes it rather difficult to see many details. A public footpath leads to this church over a field.
The remains of this tower still stand about one mile east of the church of Burgh St Margaret, in the village often known as Fleggburgh, across a field, on the edge of a small coppice of trees. The tower was probably built in the 14th century with a contemporary octagonal belfry stage. It was built of large flints to about ten feet, then changes to smaller flints. The lower parts of the four lancet-shaped belfry openings are at the top of this ruin, using bricks and stones for the belfry quoins and brick alone for the jambs of the openings. The tower arch is formed of three chamfered orders of bricks. Above it are parts of the jambs of a flint-framed upper doorway. There were also two small windows below the belfry, but these were blocked with bricks. Remains of the north nave wall can be seen and a piece of the west wall, though the stone quoins have been robbed. Further east remains the junction of the nave and a slightly narrower chancel, which had an apse.
Until 1554 both churches had their own Rectors, then just one Rector looked after both. By 1602 there was a report that “The Church decaied, profaned and made a Barne…” In 1781 it was reported that “The Church has been dilapidated many years; and its tower now being grown over with ivy and woodbine, forms a beautiful ruin. The churchyard yields a good crop of turnips”.