Burlingham St Peter
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox
The ruins of St Peter’s church are located in North Burlingham, a small village in Norfolk, on a road just to the north of the A47, about halfway between Blofield and Acle.
They are in the grounds of a private home, but can be seen from the Main Road.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Burlingham St Peter
The ruins of St Peter’s church in Burlingham are on private grounds, but you get a pretty good view from the road nearby. This church looks at first glance to be more or less complete, except for its tower. It is covered with grey slates, but not at all watertight. The small original church is supposed to have been pre 1300 and to have included the present north-west corner, part of the west wall and the north nave wall, with a small chancel. In the early 14th century the present larger chancel was added, and then later in the same century the south nave wall was moved southwards and the tower was added. In the 15th century the north porch was added, and then the south porch and the north vestry in a major restoration in 1873. At this time, the chancel roof was probably changed from a high-pitched thatched one to a lower one with slates matching the nave. Then in 1906 disaster struck and the tower collapsed, bringing down much of the west nave wall. The congregation patched up the gaping hole with boards and tried to carry on, but with St Andrew’s Church less than half a mile away to the west, Services became fewer and this Church was finally closed in 1935.
The tower formerly had an octagonal belfry, with tall narrow belfry openings on four sides. Since its collapse nothing remains, except a heap of rubble, and the low part attached to the west nave on the north side, and its low tower arch, which was clearly made of brick with a few flints, within the west nave wall. Inside the nave the floor is very rough and broken up, but there are bits of old ledger stones to be seen. The chancel had ogee-arched statue niches either side of the altar. There are the scars where many wall monuments had been, some of which are now in St Andrew’s Church. Also at St Andrew’s are interesting photos of this Church, and, more importantly, its Rood screen, now used as the tower arch screen.