Burnham Deepdale St Mary
St Mary’s church is located in Burnham Deepdale, a village on the famous northern Norfolk Coast, right on the A149 Hunstanton to Burnham Market road.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Burnham Deepdale St Mary
St Mary’s in Burnham Deepdale sits right on the A149 main north Norfolk coast road, and is therefore unmissable when you drive along this road.
This 11th century church received much restoration in the 19th century. The circular tower looks very neat and possibly at that time an extra layer of flints was put round the base, and the belfry openings were changed to slits. Above the nave on the east side of the tower there appears to be a blocked larger opening. The stonework of the windows was also replaced then. There had been a north aisle demolished in 1796, but it was rebuilt in 1855.
Entering the south porch, the windows on either side contain fragments of medieval glass, including in the apexes a golden face in the sun/moon (west) and a typical angel of Norwich 14th century glass (east).
Just inside the door is a fine 11th century Norman square font, with scenes of the twelve labours of the months, – digging, pruning, mowing, etc. – along three of its sides (reading right to left, starting on the north side). The fourth side shows the tree of Life, and there are lions along the top border. This font alone makes this church a must see.
Nearby is the tall narrow early round-headed tower arch, with and small triangular-headed opening above, an upper doorway to access the first floor by a ladder. The west window in the tower has the figure of St Mary Magdalene in medieval glass.
There are some interesting pieces of medieval glass re-set in the west window of the north aisle, including parts of about nine angel heads, several rose-en-soleil panels (the Yorkist badge), a roundel of the Trinity (God the Father seated, the Son on the Crucifix and the Holy Spirit as a dove), St Ursula, (a crowned head, arrows). There are more medieval fragments of glass in the vestry.
In a case on the north wall is an amazing survival, a 15th century chasuble (priest’s vestment) adorned with Rhenish orphreys (bands of embroidery), found in London, and given to the church in 1921.