Kirby Cane All Saints
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
All Saints church is located in Kirby Cane, a Norfolk village about 5 miles north-west of Beccles.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Kirby Cane All Saints
All Saints church in Kirby Cane is usually locked, but a keyholder is displayed. So I phoned him on our visit, and it turned out that we had disturbed him while he was preserving fruits together with his wife. Nevertheless, he came and opened the church for us, and kindly explained the details.
The south side of the church has cusped Y windows and a larger Perpendicular one near the south porch. The chancel is tall, though its roof is at a lower pitch than the naves, and it has two narrow south clerestory windows, although there is no aisle nor chapel below, and a blocked round window. On the north side is an aisle built around 1750, with its own hipped roof. Its north windows are 13th century, presumably moved northwards from the original nave. There is also a north vestry to the chancel, which was added in 1738.
The round flint tower has 11th century origins, with short pilasters to about four feet high, giving extra support round the base. At around 25 feet there is a band of medieval brick, which possibly marks the start of a rebuilding, perhaps in the 14th century. There are blocked windows in two tiers at about 30 feet, and the four simple belfry openings face in diagonal directions (not due east, south, etc.).
The south porch protects a 12th century doorway, with a round arch. The outer moulding has rosettes each with a prominent bulging centre, then there is an order of chevrons with beading, and the inner order has chevrons at right angles, going right down to the floor. The west capital has a face on it, and the shafts have a spiral cable on the west and a chevron pattern on the east. There is a head at the apex. There is 12th century iron work on the door, two horizontal straps with split ends.
The nave has a 13th century scissor-braced roof. The 14th century font stands in front of the narrow, round-headed tower arch. The octagonal font has four carved panels enclosing heads and four panels enclosing shields, on its bowl. In the corona, supporting the bowl are alternately male and female (with fashionable headwear) heads, divided by fleurons, and it stands on eight engaged shafts round a central column.
The chancel has a blue ceiling and there is a tomb chest against the north wall. This is believed to be for John Copledyke †1593. The Communion rails are 17th century, with close-standing balusters.