Letheringsett St Andrew
St Andrew’s church is located in Letheringsett, a Norfolk village, about 2 miles west of Holt.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Letheringsett St Andrew
St Andrew’s church in Letheringsett is a well known landmark just to the west of the popular market town of Holt right on the main A148 North Norfolk road. It is always open and welcoming.
Although this round tower has 14th century tracery in its belfry openings, it is believed that it originated in the 11th century. Above the belfry openings are signs that there was once a ring of round flint-framed openings above, and there are certainly several flint-framed slit windows lower down.
The aisles, which were added in the 13th century, overlap the east side of the tower. There is a continuous red-tiled roof over both nave and chancel, but there are only clerestory windows above the nave. The south porch was rebuilt in the late 19th century.
Just inside the door is the Purbeck font, here with pointed arches on its bowl indicating that it was made in the 13th century. It stands on eight pillars.
The arcades leading to the aisles have a quatrefoil plan and simple capitals, dating from 13th century. At the west end the arches end in grotesque heads for corbels, the north one also having arms and legs.
The chancel is approached up three steps, and there are yet more steps up to the elevated altar, as was often done in the 19th century. This makes the angle piscina (two arches divided by a pillar) and the dropped-sill sedilia almost at floor level. The towering, ornately-carved reredos was made of alabaster in 1899, and it has the figures of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Child on one side and St John the Baptist on the other, with smaller figures of the Twelve Apostles across the centre, four of them dividing the openwork frieze at the top, and eight in vertical pairs separating niches across the back panel.
The south-west chancel window has two inserted panels containing fragments of medieval glass, much of it made in Norwich in the 15th century, including angel heads and wings, and the head of God the Father, placed here in 1958. The hanging candelabra came from Italy, and are still candle-lit.