Bruisyard St Peter
St Peters church is located in Bruisyard, a village in Suffolk about 4 miles north-east of Framlingham.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Bruisyard St Peter
St Peter’s in Bruisyard is a church we have yet to see in the sunshine, meaning the exterior photos are rather dull. It is difficult to put a date on this tower, but at about eight feet high, on both north and south side of the tower are circular areas filled with smaller flints. Could these be the remains of 11th century windows? Higher up there are extensive red brick repairs. The belfry stage has a change in the flintwork from the sills of the openings upwards, and it seems there was a rebuilding in the 15th century. The church has a very tall and large south transept, with brick- framed square-headed windows, built in the 16th century using material from the local Nunnery. This was originally a College from 1354, but from 1367 it became a Convent of Minoresses (Franciscan Nuns, known as the Poor Clares), until 1539. The north nave has several blockings, including a 12th century round-headed stone-framed doorway, half way along. The south nave has a 19th century wood framed window, a cheaper repair, to the west of the porch. The window near the transept is brick-framed 15th century, and in the angle are the rood stairs, again made of brick. The priest’s door from the chancel has been re-set as the west entrance into the transept.
The tower arch is pointed, indicating 13th century or later. The 15th century font has a hanging shield on each face of the bowl and four seated lions around its stem. The pulpit is 18th century with plain panelled sides and a tester above (to reflect the sound of the preacher’s voice.). There is no Rood screen, but a 19th century Rood beam, on which are small paintings of St Francis and St Clare. Below are the Laudian altar rails, now used to divide the nave from the chancel. A wide arch leads from the chancel into the transept, just hacked through the wall. It has an early 17th century screen across it. In the transept floor there is a figure brass and some shields. It did have Michael Hare †1611, but his brass has disappeared, while those of his two wives remain, Elizabeth and Mary. They both wear French bonnets covered by a calash (like a veil) and small ruffs round their necks. Elizabeth’s bodice is fastened with windmill ornaments, and Mary’s has a pleated horizontal pattern. They both have pointed stomachers and farthingale skirts. There are some 15th century bench ends in the chancel and a 17th century altar table.