Hasketon St Andrew
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
St Andrews church is located in Hasketon, a village in Suffolk about 2 miles west of Woodbridge.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Hasketon St Andrew
The most striking feature of St Andrew’s church in Hasketon is its 13th century tower which stands tall, about 60 feet. It has the same flint fabric all the way up, so the octagonal belfry on its stone string course was built at the same time as the circular part. There are red brick repairs from the 1700s around the top, but it looks much smarter with all the flintwork exposed, than it did when the upper part of the octagon had been rendered, but had half fallen off. There are three stone-framed slit windows below the string course, and a Y traceried ground floor window. The belfry openings also have the Y tracery. Above the south one is the 1946 weather vane, in the form of a ship in full sail, a replica of the training ship “Britannia”. The north nave wall has traces of herringbone work (>>>>>>) above the blocked 13th century north doorway, so the wall could be older. West of this doorway, there is a similar lancet window to those in the tower. In the south nave wall, between the two 15th century windows is the part frame of a smaller window, possibly from the 12th century. The chancel has a 19th century east window, and a row of decorative ridge tiles along its roof, typical of that century. The south-east chancel window appears to be 15th century, but it is very tall and narrow for such a window, and it has an arch like a “kennel” head-dress.
The tower arch is pointed, confirming its 13th century origin, and there is an upper doorway above it at about 23 feet, right up near the nave’s wagon roof put up in the 1860s. The organ stands in front of the tower, and in front of that is the font dating from about 1450. It has four Tudor (double) roses on the bowl alternating with angels holding heraldic shields, with connections to the Brewse Family. Their arms show a rampant lion with a double tail, also to be seen in 15th century glass in the south-east chancel window. The font stem was replaced in about 1840, but formerly there were four lions seated around it. On the east end of the north wall is a flamboyant memorial with colourful heraldry, for members of the Goodwin Family. The Father, Will, died in 1663, and his two Sons, the eldest Will †1664 aged 24 years, and the third Robert †1663 aged 18 years, both of whom died in Smyrna, Turkey. Probably they were merchants, perhaps selling cloaks or buying carpets, in the time of the plague. The pews and pulpit date from the 1860s. The chancel arch seems very wide, almost the width of the chancel.