Stuston All Saints
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
All Saints church is located in Stuston, a village in Suffolk about 2 miles south-east of Diss.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Stuston All Saints
All Saints in Stuston is another church that has seen extensive restorations done in the 19th century. The round tower is 14th century, with a contemporary octagonal belfry stage. It has many put-log holes (now filled in) with the frames made of stone. These were to accommodate the horizontal poles of scaffolding. The four stone-framed belfry openings have Decorated tracery, the octagon’s quoins are made of stone, and the plain parapet above is made of red brick. The vestry, utilising the north doorway, was added in 1865. The transept, to the north of the chancel was added in 1862, though there was perhaps an oratory in that position in the 13th century, dedicated to St Katherine. The chancel was completely rebuilt in 1862, with a date stone above the south priest’s doorway. The south chancel 19th century windows have unusual cusped X tracery. All the windows have brick and flint relieving arches (like eyebrows). The porch is also 19th century.
The interior of this Church is like no other! The large pointed chancel arch and the arch from the chancel into the transept are both formed of bricks, painted in blocks of black and red, alternating with yellow blocks. The same pattern frames the chancel east window and the two in the south chancel. There is also red brick in the arches of the two north nave windows and the south-west window, and in the surrounds of the upper Rood stairs doorway, next to the chancel arch. The font, standing in front of the plain pointed tower arch, is very plain, probably 14th century. The north chancel wall is taken up with a large monument to Sir John Castleton †1727, and his wife Bridget. They are remembered with two life-sized busts standing on a chest. Above them are marble medallions showing three children, Charles, John and Elizabeth, who pre-deceased them. The top of the monument is crowned with two urns and a display of their heraldic arms.