Rockland St Peter
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
St Peters church is located in Rockland St Peter, a Norfolk village about 4 miles north-west of Attleborough.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Rockland St Peter
Rockland St Peter is a church that shares its name with the village where it is located. The round tower here has its own stair turret, built on the south side next to the nave at the same time as the tower, as the coursing of the flints is continuous around the bulge of the turret. Also the string courses, two thirds of the way up and again at the top of the circular part, carry on round the tower and the turret, without a break. The octagonal belfry is also the same build, and inside this the tower continues up as a circle. The belfry openings have 14th century tracery, the alternate panels have a blank arch, and the hood mould extends horizontally to link all the arches. The nave roof is thatched, in spite of its former thatch catching alight in 1947 and causing extensive damage. The shallow transepts at the east end of the nave were added in the 14th century, before large 15th century windows were inserted in the nave. The chancel was rebuilt in 1909, on the foundations of its predecessor from 1730. It is only 14 feet from east to west and has just the one window, the five-light east window.
The north porch was originally 14th century, but was substantially rebuilt in 1624. The top plaque above the entrance states “James Rainor gave this godly work 1624”. The south porch was converted into a vestry in 1908.
In 1950 the Church was provided with a fine 15th century Rood screen, which stands to the west of the transepts. It came from a redundant church at Tottington, and was obviously made for a narrower church. The screen has cusping below its ogee arches, and upright patterns in the tracery. There are good carvings in the spandrels of the base, including tiny carved heads. The Rood group at the top of the screen came from a church in York in 1973, and was made in the late 19th century. Other woodwork also came from Tottington, such as 17th century choir stalls, pews and pulpit, but these have now been returned, as indeed the screen may be one day.
The 14th century font stands in front of the pointed tower arch. The font bowl has a different traceried pattern on each of its faces, as do the circles around the stem containing trefoils, quatrefoils, mouchettes, etc.