Woodton All Saints
Click onto the photo to open the lightbox, navigate with the arrows
All Saints church is located in Woodton, a Norfolk village about 11 miles south of the City of Norwich.
* denotes external links that open in a new window
Visiting Woodton All Saints
All Saints in Woodton belongs to the wonderful Hempnall Group of Parishes. Wonderful because it has been long the practice that all these churches are always open to visitors. And furthermore – important for the Round Tower Churches enthusiast – six of the eight churches have a round tower: Bedingham St Andrew, Fritton St Catherine, Hardwick St Margaret, Morningthorpe St John the Baptist, Topcroft St Margaret and Woodton All Saints, all of which can be found on this website. Only Hempnall St Margaret and Shelton St Mary have square towers. So you can spend a leisurely day in this group of parishes, visiting six Round Tower Churches, and still only have to drive about 20 miles.
The tower of All Saints in Woodton appears to have 1½ stages to its 15th century upper parts as the belfry openings rest on a stone string course, with the octagon continuing below it. Inside the 12th century circular part, near the top, is evidence that there was an earlier belfry, because a series of round headed openings with inner splays can still be seen. The octagon has stone quoins and above it the parapet has flushwork panels with brick tops to the merlons. The south nave and chancel are covered with render, but the windows are attractive 14th century Decorated. The east and west ones for the south aisle have reticulated tracery, and the one at the east end of the aisle has in addition carved fleurons within the mouldings round its arch. On the north side the porch was extended westwards in about 1915 to make it into a vestry.
The font, just inside the door, is said to have been restored. It is in the style of a 12th century Purbeck font, with carved round headed arches on each face of the square bowl. However the genuine ones usually have four arches, not seven. The east window of the aisle has some 14th century fragments of glass. The quatrefoils in the tracery show the Shield of the Passion (Cross, etc), with St Catherine (wheel) and St Margaret (dragon) below. This window frame has fleurons in its mouldings, as it does outside. Below the tower arch, (which has been altered to a point) is the brass figure of Christiane (spelt xniane) Bacon †1532. She wears a flat headdress and furred cuffs. The glass in the east window is interesting as it came from another church in Kent, but had to be cut down to fit this window. It shows the Baptism of Christ, the Temptation and the Garden of Gethsemane. In the centre light, the devil is shown as a dragon, but only part of the dragon’s wing remains. It was made about 1863, and came here in 1934. In the north-east corner is the memorial for Ann Suckling †1653. She is shown as a kneeling figure at a prayer desk, and was the great-great-grandmother of Admiral Nelson.